Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2008 00:02:17 +1300
HI all, having taken in a couple of feral ferrets, I have found they
will come around slowly to you, dont rush them, I have used things like
butter, Margerine, and Flaxseed oil in small amounts to get them to
come to my hands, and so that they find out I am not a risk, but that
i am a friend, I have found they run rather than biting, I try not
to follow but let them come to me in their time, and with patience
sometimes weeks they become more and more accepting of being picked
up and handled. I always put one hand down first with the back of the
hand toward them and pick them up with the other, helps if a little
butter/oil is on the back of the first hand for them to seek out. They
do seem to go through a little hissing stage as they come to terms with
adpting to me, almost as if to say I think I trust you but I am warning
you --- be nice--- It is satisfying when they walk up to you sniff and
dont run away and can be picked up and patted slowly, soft gentle
patting seems to work well.

Happy fostering and learning with four at once tho.

Fuzzy hugs to all
Michelle