From:
Shelley Straight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 1997 15:02:35 -0500
To give Tammy C. an answer to her question concerning her pregnant friend:

I read that ferrets can spread RSV (Respiratory Syncytial Virus) to young
children.  Plus ferrets can carry bacteria such as Salmonella like every
other pet can.

Before she freaks out and gets rid of her ferret, please tell her to consult
a veterinarian that is familiar with ferrets.  I don't believe that giving
her ferret away is necessary.  I believe that cats carry RSV also, and I
have known people to automatically boot their cats out when they have a
child.

I am just a vet student, so I strongly suggest she consult a knowledgable
veterinarian.

Plus, I am new to this mailing list, but I have a question for anyone.  My
ferret is 4 years old and used to have a bad problem with scratching.  SHe
has destroyed numerous doors and carpeting.  Eventually she calmed down and
stopped doing it for which I was grateful.  Little did I know that she
stopped doing it because of insulinoma.  She just didn't have enough energy
to scratch.  Now that she is on medication her energy levels are high again
and she keeps me up at night---scratching on the carpet beside my bed.  Has
anyone been successful in stopping this unwanted behavior?  Does anyone have
advice?

Shelley Straight
VMRCVM