From:
Paul Whyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 13:02:11 +0100
On this side of the pond housing ferts outside is the norm.  Yes I do
realise there are some pretty significant climate differences with the
states but how do animals such as wolverines, gophers, coyotes and your
own black footed ferret cope with your climate.  My ferrets live outdoors
24/7/365 love the snow and grow thick coats that make you realise why they
were once bred for Fitch.Our ferret court consists of a garden shed with a
4 x 3 feet sleeping box secured to one wall with doors to a 30 x 10 feet
wire enclosure which has some smaller 3 x 2 sleeping boxes in it for day
time snoozing and warm nights.  the ferts have free run of the place and
have even been known to shut the little doors after themselves in cold
and wet weather.

The few wild polecats left in the U.K. live in some of the wildest areas
of northern Scotland and I know from personal experience temperatures
there can be as low as minus 10 degrees centigrade (approx 12 degrees
Fahrenheit ) .  I think you personally know what you will put your ferret
into.  Just give them a warm place to hide in if it gets cold.  We use
wooden boxes with plenty of hay or shredded paper.Give them plenty of
shade and water in hot weather.  We're putting in a water feature ,just
a shallow waterfall type of thing after seeing one in somebody's ferret
court.  His ferts love playing in the water and they keep cool while
having fun.  You already seem to have ideas about roofing your court sorry
no experience of that type of boarding our roof is made of the corrugated
plastic roof sheets with green house sun screen beneath it then wire
beneath that.

Our albino's dont appear to be affected by the sunlight and are always
amongst the first out to greet you whatever the weather.

Paul

We'd rather be out dooking than inside watching football (soccer)

P.s.  in case you didn't work it out a ferret court is the name for a
large communal outside ferret house we use in England