Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 01:48:49 EST
It has come to my attention that one of the hardest working most considerate
ferret caregivers is being made a scapegoat for Rascal and the other sick
ferrets in Florida.  In the first place it is interesting to note that her
ferrets have been, on the whole very happy healthy exuberant ferrets.  Since
the introduction of the 8 ferrets many of her ferrets have come down with an
illness( believed to be ECE...as per her vet and the emergency vet which she
had to visit in the middle of the night ) It certainly seems beyond
coincidence that since those ferrets arrived, the other previously healthy
ferrets have gotten sick.  ( If not ECE, Rascal obviously carried something,
most likely unknown to those who had cared for him before.  )

The claim that Rascal was starved to death is completely unfounded.  The
"generic food" fed Rascal was Purina One Cat food...approved by many
different vets as a quality food for Ferrets.  Rapid weight loss is not
going to be a result of not liking the food...but from illness...diarhea
etc....where the body is not absorbing the nutrients as a healthy ferret
should be.  Besides no ferret would starve with the abundance of Raisans,
bananas, applesauce and other treats in that household.  When those ferrets
became ill no one tried harder to get them healthy...including multiple
expensive vet trips, hours trying to research on the internet and just
cleaning up and hand feeding a bunch of sick fuzzies.  The implication that
this person did ANYTHING WRONG, or counter to the best interest of the
ferrets is just ludicrous.  No one could have done anything better to have
helped Rascal.  Ask the vets who dealt with her ....Dr. Marquardt and Dr.
Guteris.  And then ask yourselves what you would do, when a rescue suddenly
infects your entire bunch!

It seems to me that rather than trying to point blame at someone the ferret
loving community should be concerned more with this illness and its
prevention and treatments.  Unfortunately, ferrets, people, and all living
things pass over the Rainbow Bridge.....

So indeed watch out for those who talk a good talk, go see them with the
ferrets and then judge.  I have.  Thats why I can write this .

I don't know the writers of the previous letters...but I do know the person
who they are talking about...and she does not deserve the implications being
made against her character.

For Fredo and Rascal,

Richard Davis