From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:56:42 EDT
Remember that cheesy B-rated movie called "The Beastmaster" from the
eighties?  It was a fun movie.  And there were a pair of ferrets that
were main characters.  So we all sat and watched it as a family.  My boys
never saw it.  Hubby will watch it over and over again.  And with my
memory..  well it was all new to me.

But then the end came ... and the big scene..  with one of the ferrets.
Oh holy cow... Sean was already scared from the big quicksand scene in
the beginning ... now the tears are welling up as he's watching the end.
I'm watching and now the tears are pouring out.  I speak up and tell him,
"I'm sure he gets out..  and surprises you later!" Well, it didn't
happen..  and Sean was now sobbing loudly.  Scott kept telling him, "just
watch, its okay, just watch ... wait and see what happens".  Criminey.
Poor kid.

He ended up on my lap crying uncontrollably.  I'm now telling him its
just a movie and not real.  I feel utterly ripped apart inside.  It was
just a couple years ago, that this kid literally coulda' watched the
Faces of Death series and not blinked with any emotion.  Now we have
this?!  I'm torn because on one hand this is such a welcome surprise.
But on the other hand the poor little boy is devested.

Of course there was a bitter sweet ending with the ferrets, but that
didn't take away how upset Sean was, or what happened to one of them in
the story.  I ended up sitting with him curled up on my lap telling him
it was just a movie, and that in real life both ferrets had a ball making
the movie, meeting other animals, and doing all those neat stunts.  I
told him that the ferret he feels sad about is now laughing with his
partner talking about the big movie they made and all the fun it was
making believe it was so dangerous.

Thank goodness Scott picked up Rocky and put him in his arms.  And thank
goodness Rocky uncharacteristically licked up Sean's tears.  Every one of
them.  And then he cleaned his eyelids.  Of course he had to look into
Sean's face with that big baby face of his ... and that got a chuckle out
of Sean (just look at the cover of Modern Ferret Magazine # 29 to see
such a look on Rocky's face).

I'm beat now.  I don't know whether to whop this shot of vodka down
because I'm happy that the stone boy is able to understand and express
such complex emotions now, or if I should do this shot out of feeling sad
for how upset he got.  Oh hell, forget the vodka where's the tequila?

Wolfy

Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/
for information on ferret deafness: