From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 1997 20:59:06 -0500
From one Bob to another--hang in there pal.

To the dozens of people sending mail to me about this--thanks.  It's nice to
see the latest news, and although I have been generally not responding to
save bandwidth (and peoples time) I am reading and behind all actions 100%.
Thanks to all for keeping me informed.

To the FML.  You are all wonderful people and many of you have gone out of
your way to help in this matter.  I discussed this today with a professor at
the law school her on campus, and the response was that unless specific law
is initiated to protect animals/ferrets, then the application of law is left
to the discretion of the judge.  The trouble is, judges turn to state
emplotees for advice in these matters, which in this case is heavily biased
against ferrets.  The professor pointed out several things:

1) The citizenry has the power to initiate changes in law, removal of
judges, and dismissal of public employees.  Failure to utilize that power is
"like spreading honey to get rid of cockroaches." He suggested the ferret
clubs combine their political clout with other pet clubs and work together
on the problem.

2) Lawsuits work, especially those for large sums of money.  The professor
suggests each and every animal control officer be named, starting from the
top.  Also, each town and county should be named.  He stated most places
cannot afford large legal fees, so generally will change policy rather than
get socked for money.  I was told this happened in St.  Louis recently.
When I asked how much is enought, the professor said "start at 5 million,
then each time they hesitate, increase it."

3) If nothing is done, it WILL happen again and again.  Winning encourages
the bureaucrap; they see it as righteous approval of policy.

4) Go to a local law school and solicit free help.  Many advanced students
will do much of the work for free or very low pay.  Some want experience to
better help them in future employment.  ASk them and you will recieve help.
Go to the professors first, and they will know who to send.  If you do it
right, the professors might concider making it a class project.

5) NEVER EVER EVER allow anything to be done without the proper paperwork in
the hands of the officer.  Demand they bring the police, demand warrants,
demand right of council, etc.  As it was put to me, "intimidation is not the
law.  Force them through the hoops, and take advantage of their mistakes.
Remember OJ."

Last, this requires money.  I have 17 ferrets, 4 teenagers, a cat and am
still a graduate student.  I pledge $20.  I can afford it.  I strongly
encourage each member of the FML to show their support by donating a
sum--whatever they can afford--to the task of saving ferret lives.  This
could ultimately be through making new law, or for forcing bureaucraps out
of office.  It just pays the lawyers.  But now is the time to help!

And for those that don't know, there are so many people involved in this,
BIG, Dick Bossart, Margie, TLE to name a few (and I sincerely don't mean to
miss anyone here) and have given up valuble work time and monetary resources
in this matter.  They would do it for me, for you, for anyone.  And they are
not doing for any reason other than to help a helpless ferret.  Help them
out by giving them the weaponry they need to fight this battle, bucks.

I have an idea.  Someone good at designing t-shirts?  Put Kodo's picture (in
jail) on the T-shirt and send one to everyone who sends in $20.  All profits
to the rabies defense fund.  Jump in people!!

BOb C and the Mad As Hell Missouri 17.