From:
Melody Tomaszewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 09:50:35 -0500
Valerie-

Warrening is a profession that goes all the way back to medieval times
in England and other parts of western Europe.  In England, the rabbits
live communally in a series of tunnels called a warren.  The farmers
don't want to wipe out the rabbits totally, but they do want to keep
their numbers under control to minimize damage to crops.  So they call
in the warrener.  He/she spreads purse nets over the openings to the
warren, and then sends the (usually muzzled) ferret into the tunnels.
The ferret chases the rabbits out into the purse nets, and the warrener
dispatches them.

Sometimes the ferret stops for a snack of baby rabbit or decides to take
a nap.  The modern warrener has a radio transmitter on the ferret's
collar so that it can be dug for and retrieved if it takes too long to
re-emerge from the tunnels.  I guess in the past the ferrets were
conditioned to come to a whistle or thump on the ground.  Or, the
warrener just waited until it came out.  Actually, many ferrets who are
used for warrening are gentle to humans (after all, you do have to handle
them in order to work with them), but I would guess that most live in
outside hutches.  They are considered more of a business tool than a
pet, and they do want to keep breeding the best hunters, so most are not
neutered.  The smell must get pretty ripe when they are in season.

There are several sites on the internet dealing with modern day
warrening.  I've researched it, because as a member of the New Jersey
Renaissance Fair, one of the characters I portray is that of a warrener.
I have purse nets and two stuffed rabbits that are hanging from my belt,
and a ferret puppet that I carry with me, while dressed as a working
wench.  The rabbits are relatively realistic looking, but not so real
that it grosses people out :-P, and I've had to make do with a black
footed ferret puppet, but most people can't tell the difference.  There
are a few fairs in New Jersey where pets are allowed, and I take a real
ferret to them if the day is not too hot.  I have several who really love
the attention.  Of course it does slow you down as you walk the fair;
every two steps someone else just has to make a fuss over whichever
ferret I've brought.  ;-)

Melodyt and the nifty nine