From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 13:37:53 -0700
I have been trying to figure out if I should send this or not...and after
reading it again and making some changes...I decided that it needed to be
said.

From Bob Church:
>I prefer donations {dead ferrets} from shelters, where it is less of a
>personal issue

I am a shelter and to me it is VERY personal.  I have had two ferrets
die... both in July.  It was the hardest thing I have had to deal with.
They were my babies...whether they were with me as "my pet" or as a
shelter ferret.  If you read my posts from Zorro and Oggie you will
see....

Yes, I am hurt that you would think that it would be less personal.  That
offended me....and all of my shelter ferrets that I have now.

When Zorro, a shelter ferret, died I went numb.  I cried for days and
nothing would stop it...not even my 7 personal ferrets, my dogs or my
cat...not even my family.  While Shawn, my BF got the grave ready for
Zorro I laid with Zorro on the bed.  I talk to him and cried.  Even now
it hurts...and will forever....it is VERY personal.

There might be shelters out there that don't have a bond with their
ferrets...but so far I haven't met them.

Each time a ferret comes into the shelter they are treated with the same
love and affection that I show all of my "kids".  When I adopt them out I
ensure to the best of my ability that they are going to a safe home and
that they will be loved forever.  Then I do follow up visits and phone
calls.  When I adopt them out I am saddened because they are gone...but
I know they are in a forever home and that makes it all worth while.

So, please...do not tell me that it is less personal when one of the
shelter ferret dies.

Joanne
Ferret Corner Shelter
www.geocities.com/ferretcorneraz