From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 1995 08:10:21 -0500
Question was asked about breaking a ferret from nipping owner and roommates.
We've encountered a few of these guys who are more difficult to socialize
than normal.  One of the best ways to turn this behavior around is to first
determine why they continue to nip.

We've found that it is usually fear.  Some were continually thumped on the
nose; some swatted, or other unpleasantness Then too, there are the ferrets
that have been "trained" that when they give a good hard nip, they get set
down, so that becomes their way of asking.  Some have just not learned that
human skin is tender.  Once you can figure out what is causing the nipping,
you can take more efficient steps to correct it.

From you description it sounds like your ferret may fear people.  Perhaps
the former owners, someone at the pet shop, your roommates in your absence,
etc.  have inflicted pain.  (Imagine if every time you walked up to a
horse, it kicked you.  Wouldn't you do everything in your power to protect
yourself if you saw a horse walking up to you?) If you think this might be
the situation, you might try offering a treat every time you come near it -
just a little one (drop of ferretone, one raisin, whatever it likes).  Keep
this up for a few days (you'll end up having to carry treats in your pocket
to have them all of the time.)

After it is running up to you and sniffing instead of chomping, pick the
ferret up before offering the treat.  Be calm.  If it nips, scruff and
shake the ferret back and forth, like a momma ferret might do, and yell
"NO!" in its face and scold it loudly.  Then show it that you aren't going
to hurt it, and that you do love it.  (This is the hard part because it may
continue to try to nip.  Don't stop scruffing.  Don't set it down.  Do get
control of it and maintain control.  Wrap your hand around its head so that
only the face is showing, if you have to.  A box of bandages comes in handy
here.) After it calms down, do talk gently and love it (keep it away from
your face).  Then reward it.  You must be consistent.  Don't let it chomp
you.  Don't let your roommates thump its nose.

Some you can turn around in a couple of weeks.  We have one that has turned
around after two months, but she has become a real love bug.  She has gone
from a shivering, frightened ferret when she was picked up, to one that
actively seeks being held and played with.  She turned out to have a great
personality after she got over the fear of people (especially women.)

We are working with two that were badly abused (by a male) and never held
in their 3 years of life.  One has already accepted people; the other -
well I do have more than a few puncture marks on hands, fingers and wrist -
but she's getting better.  My wife, Joan, is now able to handle her, but
I'm still working on it.

It is worth it.  Good luck.

          Dick B.