From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 16:46:12 -0400
I've most definitely seen very young kits healed within a week after
spaying many times through the years.

The kits in pet stores typically have only the deciduous teeth.  For tooth
eruption times check in past FML reports, on Sam's webpage, or in Fox's
text.  Tooth eruption is how to age them most accurately; size doesn't work
at all because their competition for food varies and because some places
just plain don't feed them right.

These issues come up now and then (and should) because it's good to know
how to get the data needed.

By the way, speaking of that, why don't we all list some helpful webpages
and others here will then have ways to get information.  WHICH ARE YOUR
FAVORITES?  Here are some of mine to get this started:

http://www.ferretcentral.org
(My all time favorite, this site gives general info, health info for an
assortment of problems, natural history backgrounds about ferrets, and
numerous marvelous links.) http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html (This is
a great site with pathology information from the man who is probably the
most knowledgeable ferret pathologist in the world, written at a level
where your vets and you can benefit by improving the care of your fuzzball.
Some of the topics discussed include: consultation, feeding a sick ferret,
STAR, adrenals, chordoma, ECE, ulcers, Dirofilariasis, lymphosarcoma, mast
cell tumors, squamous cell carcinoma, pathology and interpretation
difficulties, testicular hydorcele and interstitial cell tumor.  Personal
wish-list has on it that Bruce will sometime do a section on cardiomyopathy
sometime given how leery many people still are of the needed tests and of
Digoxin which is absolutely incredible when the compressions are
compromised.)

http://miamiferret.org  (This site includes sections on poisoning,
ECE, adrenals, ulcers and helicobacter, and insulinoma, as well as
general info, newsletter, and shelter info.)

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1083/probintro.html
(Want to learn how to train your ferret?  have a problem biter.  Click on
this site.

I'll bet you can give the addresses for others which you love, whether they
tackle behavior, raising ferrets, breeding, health, history, art, pet
supplies and cage building materials, shirts, jewelry, stationery, humor,
whatever.  Post it here for all to enjoy and tell what sorts of information
are on the site!  (Heck, I could have mentioned others, but I don't recall
Bill ever telling me I could monopolize the list ;-) !)  So, teach us all,
already!