From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 19:28:11 -0500
Dear X: I think that you would need to have a pathologist confirm the
presence of emphysema here.  Emphysema is the breakdown of the alveolar
walls - the walls between the little grape-like clusters of the air sacs.

We can actually see this finding in animals that breathe very heavily
prior to death, or those with long-term bad coughs, as you mention here.
I have seen many ferrets who belonged to smokers, and they do indeed have
excess carbon material in their lungs, but emphysema is not a finding.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM

P.S.  A good gross post is still not as good as a routine microscopic
analysis!