From:
"Henry Lee Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 12:17:21 -0400
Hello again.

I have a few questions, but, rather than flood this forum with answers
(since they are opinion answers) or email me privately where others cannot
see, please use the Ferret Forums to respond at
http://www.spiritwood.com/ferrets/

I only want the best for my rats, so I turn to you for advice.  (By the way,
My family, myself included, call them "rats" constantly.  I say "I have to
go feed the rats", etc.  We do this as a joke, knowing full well that they
are not rats, but that many outside people think of them as rats.  So we do
it almost mockingly.)

My first question is Ferret Food.

1. Right now I use Marshall Ferret Food.  Both of them eat well, go to the
bathroom well, and seem to be in tip top shape.  They are 4 months old now,
and weigh over 2 pounds each.  They are almost full length, but nice and
lean like active ferrets should be.  I have heard that Totally Ferret was
better from a few people, and that its also cheaper.  Is there any hard
evidence that its better?  If so, of course I am interested.  Please answer
at the ferret forums, so we dont flood this chat with multiple answers.
Thanks!

2. Ferret Litter.  I despise clay litters.  As soon as the ferrets urinate,
the clay litters smell awful.  Right now I am using a fine ground cedar
liter called Katgo.  It is great for odor control, the best IMO so far, and
excellent for clumping and keeping the bottom of the pan dry, it has high
absorption.  I have heard that cedar oils can cause problems.  If so, what
kind of problems, and is this true?  I was told by a kind user to try Feline
Pine Litter, because it was cedar oil free.  Any feedback on this as well?

3. Laxatone is what I would like to get for my ferrets, since it is a
ferret-made hairball remover.  Where can I get this?

4. Ferret Supplies.  I live in Trumbull Connecticut, and there is a severe
shortage of ferret supplies in the 20 or so stores I have checked.  The only
ferret food I have ever seen is Marshalls, and have never seen ferret litter
or laxatone.  Does anyone know where I can get any of this stuff at low
prices?  Internet shopping is fine for me as well.  Please answer all these
questions at the Ferret Forums, and keep this already too long mailer down
to just articles of importance :)

http://www.spiritwood.com/ferrets/

Thank you all in advance.

Henry Lee
Bilbo (I sleep with my mouth open)
Frodo (I hang like upside-down from my hammock when I sleep)

[Moderator's note: People wishing to share their responses may certainly
feel free to do so by posting them here as well.  Responding directly will
deprive others of your expertise.  BIG]