From:
Brenda Bresloff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:45:35 -0500
I would just like to clarify my original post that I had made in regards to
Fervac-D as there appears to be a misunderstanding to what was said.  I in
NO shape or form was implying NOT to get your ferret vaccinated against
this 100% fatal airborne disease.  My message is to alert current as well
as new ferret owners to the high risk of serious reactions to the drug and
let you know of the alternative Galaxy-D which has been used for quite some
time without the severe adverse events associated with Fervac-D.

I do agree with with a large Majority of what Dr. Williams has stated on
this subject, except I do not agree with his 2% figure of severe adverse
reaction rate to Fervac-D, no disrespect intended at all.  Just from my own
personally experience as well as close friends I have throughout the US
that figure is not close to the actual number of ferrets that do suffer.
There are quite a large number of ferret owners who would dispute that 2%
figure.

Either way, there is an alternate, a much safer alternative, and I
certainly welcome any discussion rational discussion to pursue.  I strongly
feel this drug needs to be addressed, why does it have this high reaction
rate?  Can the drug be reformulated?  Why does a reaction rate increase
as the ferret ages?  Why not push Schering-Plough into doing the clinical
tirla to obtain the data necessary to receive USDA/FDA approval?  Is there
mishandling in transit?

Brenda