From:
Jose Tracy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:23:32 -0400
To the person who was moving with their ferrets....

I recently did the same thing.  Last year I moved cross country from
North Dakota out to upstate New York.  It was approx. 1800 miles and
involved a few days driving.  I had a large U-Haul and it pulled my car
behind it.

I had six ferrets at the time.  Luckily, the cab of the U-Haul is air
conditioned, because it was hot when I made the move.  I put two ferrets
each in small dog carriers (much more room than regular small carriers),
that way they had extra room to stretch and room for their litter pans,
food, blankies, etc.  When I made stops, I walked them also so they could
stretch their legs.  Also, I stayed at pet friendly hotels (except for
one, I snuck them in through the side door and no one even noticed).  In
the hotel rooms, they got to run around (be careful of the beds, some are
on wooden pedestals and the fuzzies can sneak into their crevices).

Also, if you are going to have them in the cab of the U-Haul, make sure
the sun is not beating down on them through the windows.  I draped a dark
sheet over the cage if any sunlight shone through, because they can get
heat exhaustion very fast with the sun shining on them.  (Or try to cover
the window).  I know first hand, as this happened to my little Leah.  I
noticed she was panting and had realized in such a short time that the
sun was shining in, that it was directly hitting their cage, so I had
to stop the truck and force feed her water immediately and soaked a
washcloth in cool water and wrapped it around her.  She was fine, but boy
did it scare the heck out of me.  I can't believe I didn't think about
that beforehand.  You can imagine how we get hot when the sun hits us
through the window, even with the air cond. running.

One thing to consider, is bringing bottled water with you (sometimes,
certain areas do not have the best tap water).  Anyways, good luck with
the move and don't hesitate to ask me any questions, I had quite the
experience last year with them, and I know they just couldn't wait to
get settled in somewhere. :-)

Oh, by the way, none of mine got motion sickness, but I have heard of
using the juice from a can of peaches in heavy syrup to help with the
nausea if they get it.  Good luck with your move!

Tracy J.
Chico, Roo (RooBear), Spunky, Leah (missing Tango and Pepe' so much)