From:
Kathy Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 23:10:06 -0500
A short time ago I asked everyone for their help in compiling a list of
items that may be or have been potentially dangerous to ferrets.  I want to
tell you the response to my post has been overwhelming and I want to thank
all of you that have e-mailed me and posted so far, I have learned a lot
from all of you and this will be a great help to others.  Some of the items
you will be familiar with and some none of us would have even thought of.

I was inspired to do this when Jen lost her little boy Jitters to a poster
tube that was sitting innocently in the closet.  It was the third time
within a week or so that someone had lost their ferret in unusual
circumstances.

This list is to make people more aware of the potential unusual and usual
dangers and is not meant to panic anyone.  So here goes...

1.. Shop Vacs and Vacume Cleaner Hoses - not only when they are on, but
also when they are momentarily turned off.  Some hoses are big enough (or
some furries small enough) for them to crawl into and become wedged.
Always check it before turning it back on.  Better yet, put it away when
not in use or the fur kids are out.

2.. Toilet Paper/Paper Towel/and other types of small rolls and cylinders -
as we all well know ferrets come in various shapes and sizes, what one
can fit into others can't.  Most ferrets can become stuck and possibly
suffocate if not gotten to in time.  Throw these rolls and tubes out or
put them out of ferret reach (maybe on the roof of the house).  If the
ferret can reach them, they are not in a safe place.

3.. Fridges and Side-by-Side Freezers - not just in them but under them.
Some ferrets have crawled into the fridge or freezer in their human's home
when they weren't looking and it only took the time it takes to open and
close the door.  Just to be on the safe side take a second look, especially
if your furry has suddenly disappeared after you grabbed a snack.  Check
the clearance under your fridge to ensure said furry couldn't get stuck or
wedge their way in and get near the motor or insulation.

4.. Dishwashers - double check before running or better yet don't run with
the ferrets about.  Again check for gaps and floor clearance so the furries
can't get behind or underneath them and fall asleep.

5.. Stoves - same as fridges and dishwashers with a twist, the bottom
drawer.  If it is open even a bit they can find their way in and get
behind or into the stove or possibly become stuck in the process.

6.. Recliners/Box/Couch Springs - as far as the recliner they are not only
dangerous to your ferret, but to humans.  If you have the option send them
to another planet that doesn't have ferrets.  If you want to keep it then
just make sure not to let anyone use them when your ferrets are out.
Ferrets can also become caught, in the springs of couches and beds if they
play under/inside them and the lining is gone.  Take a look to see how
yours is.  Also be extremely careful if you have to retrieve a stubborn
furry from under a couch or chair.  They are so quick that one could be
under the leg when you go to set it back down again.  Always double check.

7.. Sofa Beds - when closing or opening always make sure there are no
ferrets in the same room or that one hasn't decided to take a nap in it.

8..  Stereo Speakers-many of us have these in some capacity.  If the
ferret can get the cover off they can become wedged in the ports of the
sub-woofers or speakers.

9.. Toilet Lids/Buckets of Water-ferrets have been known to slip off the
toilet seats and fall into the bowl.  Wet porcelain is very slippery and
the ferret may not be able to get out.  The water in the bowl is very cold
and this may result in hypothermia and possible drowning.  Always supervise
ferrets that are playing in any water be it the tub or their favorite
swimming pool in the summer.  It doesn't take much water for a ferret to
drown in.  This also applies to buckets of water that they may fall into
and not be able to get out of.

10.. Cages-we know that ferrets are not always the most graceful of
creatures and not all cages and cage doors are built alike.  Some like to
climb to the top for a better view much to the dismay of their humans.
The biggest fear is when they are on the way down.  There is a chance
their leg could become caught or twisted.  For cages with an upper door
this could also apply.  Just keep an eye out.

11. Any Open Boxes with 'stuff' in it - ferrets go in headfirst and can't
always get out.

12. Vinyl Baseboards/ Under Kitchen Cupboards - if it can be pulled loose
anywhere, ferrets can get in there and get into walls, etc.

13. Any door that has an inch or so of space under it when closed.  They
can become stuck under it or vanish from sight into rooms you don't want
them in.

This rule also applies to storm doors with vinyl weather strips at the
bottom.  If the weather stripping is gone they may be able to push their
head under it.

14. Under Rugs/Into piles of clothes =96 ferrets just love to crawl under
rugs and into laundry baskets.  If you have ornamental rugs be especially
careful that they haven't gotten underneath were they may get stepped on.
In piles of cloths such as laundry hampers or baskets they can become
caught in sleeves in jackets and not be able to get out.  Knee high nylons
or socks can become wrapped around a ferrets neck or mid section.  The
basket itself posses a potential problem if there are slats or holes in
the handles or construction.

15. Purses, backpacks and luggage =96 Ferrets are great at undoing zippers
and crawling into these items.  If you don't want the stealing your lunch
or taking an unexpected trip with you to the airport or office then keep
these items out of reach.

16. Child Gates with the Lattice work - some holes are just big enough for
a ferret to get stuck.

17. Plastic Bags - rip several openings in them so they can't suffocate in
a corner or get the handles twisted around their neck.

18. Wood Stoves =96 keep the ferrets away from these and fireplaces
whether they are in use or not.

19. Handle Spaces on Milk Crates or other Items - can be a hazard!

20. Odd shaped Drinking Glass =96 some glasses are very narrow and when a
furry decides they are going to have what your having they may be able to
get their head in but not out.

21. Drains- especially the large shower drains.  Ferrets may pull the
screens off and if there is no grate underneath, may be able to get
into or wedged in the drain pipe.  Watch out for drains in sinks and
garborators.  Ferrets can get their foot caught in them and may injure
themselves trying to get it out.

This is what has been compiled so far and is based on actual happenings.
There is a second part coming after this one.  I know there is so much
more to add, so keep sending.  I will keep a complete list handy, if anyone
would like a copy just e-mail me.  I will post just the new ones after this
so BIG won't bounce me for taking up the whole FML.  I will post a complete
list twice a year for people to download.  Please feel free to copy and
pass on this list to anyone that wants it as that is the idea of putting
it together.

Kathy and the Ferret Collective

[Moderator's note: I'll add the list to server server when a few more
entries come it.  BIG]