From:
"POSEN, DAYNA (MAN)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 11:11:19 -0500
I got your reply about your two ferrets that were not properly taken care
of.  That was eight years ago and you did your research, as much as you
could at the time.  This is now and there are tons of books, good books,
about ferret care.  Every town has a library, and if people are stupid
enough not to do research in this information age, they don't deserve a
fuzzy.  In my opinion, people need to devote all time and energy in
becoming a responsible pet owner.  Eight years ago, ferrets were not as
popular as they are to day.  I think of the sugar gliders, in which
information is limited but there are a few good books.  Sugar glider
owners are doing the best they can now, and it may turn out that eight
years from now they find out their mistakes.  They did the best they
could.  I was really referring to people who don't care enough to do
research.  I don't mean to sound all high and mighty but I do get upset.

I read recently in my ferret magazine a question a lady wrote in.  She
said something along the lines of: I've had my ferret for a couple of
months, he is a couple of months old and I heard they need shots, is this
true?  The months may not be accurate, but she obviously did not research
anything.  Should the store or shelter be responsible for directing
people to books and be handing out some sort of information?  I say damn
right they should.  We need more responsible people out there to make
sure ferrets and other pets are not abused.

Anyone out there ever thought of making a small quiz to give to shelters
for prospective adopters.  Ace the quiz on the care and happiness of an
animal, did your research, are responsible, deserve the love of an
animal!!!  I am sorry if I sound mad, I am a little.  I really don't mean
to say anything bad about you, because like I said, you did your research
( as much as was available).

There are people who don't care enough, and I don't mean to suggest you
are one of them.

 FROM: [log in to unmask]

Love to ferrets and responsible parents,
Dayna and the Gonz-man