From:
Holly Park Library <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 1995 15:08:48 -0700
Noticed that my little guy has blobs stuck around his ears!  They do
not shampoo off, and using a miticide and q-tips in his ears doesn't
take them off.
    But they will come up with a flea comb.
    They are dark reddish-brown and look for all the world like tiny nits.
I comb them up, wipe the comb with tissue, soak the comb in hot water and
Dr Bonner's, and notice that when I crush the tissue before flushing it
there seems to be (sigh) blood on it.
    I took the little guy in for shots and teeth-cleaning and the vet said
this ferret doesn't have ear mites. I think maybe I'll take him back!
    Anyone know if these are mites--or fleas--or perhaps lice? The human
kids picked up head lice this summer--do ferrets get human lice? do humans
get ferret lice? I thought lice nits were white, though.
    His ears--what I can see--look fine, 'cause he's been getting drops
and q-tips daily. These things are right in front of, and behind, his ears.
I've been using the flea comb twice a day for short bits of time.
    Just read about the poor little ferret who had convulsions due basically
to ear mites and didn't make it through. I would hate for that to happen to
my guy--I'd never forgive myself.
    His hearing seems fine, his balance is fine, he doesn't seem in distress
other that that he'll rub his ears. No scars or scratches. He gets bathed
weekly and his bedding washed in hot water weekly and I vacuum every week
also--should I increase any of these?
    Reason I'm asking--other than worry, of course--is that he's had ear
mites before but I never noticed these things before. Thanks for sharing
your advice & experience in this area. I love my small friend and don't
want him to be "lousy" or "fleasy" or "mitey" at all!
       Kate and The Emmett      [log in to unmask]