From:
Rick Lemker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 1996 13:28:17 -0500
Oh good, a debate ... something to take my mind off the upcoming CA
commission vote on ferrets.

David J.Ellis writes re: trembling ferrets:

<I find the explanation of trying to raise body temperature upon waking a
<little hard to believe. Ours sleep together in a "ball" under an a lot of
<blankets and if you pick one up as soon as it wakes it is _very_ warm.

Didn't someone famous once say that everything is relative?  No offense to
Mr.  Ellis, but I suspect we feel like icebergs to waking ferrets.  Our 70F
exterior must be as chilly to them as their nice and toasty 96F is to us.
Up-and-destructive ferrets are cooler on the *outside* than sleeping
ferrets, but my understanding is that they heat up on the *inside* as they
tranform themselves from sleeping little angels to raging active devils.
Also, as many here have noted, the difference between "asleep" and "awake"
is more pronounced in ferrets than in any other animal.  (This space
reserved for the ursine experts) Thus, the wakey-time shakes.

Just my lay-interpretation of events,

Swampp