From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2003 10:10:06 -0400
Links to listings of vets:  http://www.ferretcongress.org
In the Critical References

>hi i know ferrets can catch colds from humans but can they catch other
>things like Tuberculosis and other bacterium's

Ferrets do not get human colds (rhinoviruses) but they do get influenza
and they do catch some of our bacterial sinus infections, both of which
people often mistake for colds if they are mild enough.

There are a large number of diseases which are documented in ferrets
that one would not normally think of them in relation to.  The reason is
because they have been used as lab animals in disease studies so there
is pretty decent knowledge of a range of things they get and a range of
things they don't get.  One text that goes into these zoonoses rather
thoroughly is James Fox's _Biology and Diseases of the Ferret, second
edition_ from 1998, though all of the vet texts carry some mention.  Both
ferrets and humans can get the bovine form of tuberculosis, for example,
and you will find that in the assorted references.  Off hand, I can't
recall about the other strains, but according to something I have handy
right now:

>The bovine form, BTW, has almost disappeared in U.S. ferrets due to the
>feeding of pelleted foods rather than raw animal parts, and due to raw
>milk not typically being available according to Fox's _Biology and
>Diseases of the Ferret_.

Euthanasia is the recommended action when ferrets contract that disease.
About the avian form the chapter reads:
"Although M. avium is not a disease reportable to public health
officials, its presence may present a zoonotic risk, particularly to
immunocompromised humans.  If other ferrets have been exposed, they
should be tuberculin-tested (which may be helpful), or other diagnostic
tests should be performed to ascertain their disease status.  Personnel
at risk should also be screened with appropriate tuberculin tests."

Also look up zoonotic or zoonosis in http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org and
other resources.

I do not have time to review these right now, but on a search of the
word "zoonotic" in Google I find:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasiticpathways/animals.htm
http://research.ucsb.edu/connect/acc/policy.html
http://www.who.int/emc/diseases/zoo/
http://www.zoonotic-diseases.com/
http://www.vetmed.wisc.edu/pbs/zoonoses/ (with a number of links I
won't include to avoid repetition)
and more...
As you will notice ferrets are not alone in having some diseases humans
can share or in sharing some the same pathways we have for acquiring
disease (such as the food one), but I suspect that you already well
knew this; still it does help to emphasis that sometimes in relation to
shared concerns like disease, kit teething and mouth manners, etc.