From:
Debbie Hunton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2005 09:18:50 -0700
First, I would like to point out that my ferret's favorite toy didn't
cost me anything to buy - it's me (well, and my husband <g>).  They get
"out" time in our bedroom every morning, and even though there are so
many places to roam (under the bed, in the closet, under the dresser,
etc), their favorite place is on top of the bed with us, even if they're
just wrestling each other.

But as for other toys, they love Barnes & Noble bags, and the ones that
Wendy's gives out when you buy a salad - very "crunchy" bags, which of
course, is the only thing that matters in a bag, as we all know. :)

And I've seen a number of posts about digging boxes filled with rice.
Here in Florida, that's not an option - due to humidity and pests (read
"ants and other insects"), no food products as toys... but shredded paper
works well (as long as you have air conditioning, which we do).  I
recently brought some home (thanks, everyone who talked about digging
boxes, my weasels love you!).

It's funny how different they are in digging boxes... my first ferret had
a digging box with sand (which, frankly, made a horrible mess, which is
why these two didn't have one)... her favorite thing to do was push her
face in to the ears, then pull it out again... she did this over and over
for like 10-15 minutes at a time.  Snuffy (my current male) loves to bury
himself as far into the shreds as possible, he also loves to simply dig,
sending shreds flying everywhere.  Kissy (the little hyper-active female)
tries to carry the paper around, holding it under her and sliding
backwards (this is the correct ferret way to carry things, you know).

Any other digging ideas?  How do your ferrets tunnel?

Debbie