From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2005 19:06:34 EDT
Yes, Jules, I've always had reptiles with ferrets since I was a little
girl since ferrets bother my allergies slightly and reptiles, of course,
do not bother my allergies at all.  I've had green grass snakes all the
way up to small python size.  Even then, as you already know, it's the
snakes and lizards that are in terrible danger, never the ferrets (unless
you get a very large python, which I don't due for many, many reasons
anyway).

The two dangers to reps from ferrets are injury/death, and stress.

I've always wondered if reptiles would suffer stress if they smelled
a ferret nearby.  Ferret like creatures have always preyed upon them.
Reptiles do indeed stress.  So, I've always kept my reptile pets in a
bedroom that is usually off limits to a ferret.  Up until we moved here.
Now, Chet's ferret does frequent his room where our two snakes are.
However, we've seen no signs of stress.  We've seen no change in eating
patterns, no illness, no restlessness, ... nothing.  Ball pythons are the
most sensitive and shy of all.  If any snake was to be stressed, it would
be them.  How do you tell if a reptile is stressed?  Other than little
things, I'm not sure.  Perhaps you can't.  Perhaps it's in their nature
to now display it.  Ever.  So, just in case, they are not on the same
floor as the ferrets, and when the ferrets are with us, we shut that
bedroom door.  Laddie occasionally stays with Chet in there, but it's
not often.

The thing to fear is injury or even death to a reptile.  Given enough
time, a ferret could easily scratch it's way though a screen top.  After
that, well, the poor animal would either be played with to death or
bitten to death.

It's just like any two species of animals.  Supervision.  Plan things
out carefully.  And hope that an accident never occurs such as a snake
cage being left open.  Make sure that if that were to ever happen in
your wildest dreams that you could handle how you'd think of your ferrets
from that point on, or how guilty you'd feel as well.  Lots of pet owners
loose their pets accidently from them getting out.  Reps are the most
likely to get out and likely to die and die soon afterwards.  But it's a
lot different to see something horrific for you.

I know you.  I know that you are very knowledgeable with many species of
animals.  I think with proper planning, and such, that you'll be just
fine.  Gail Elsey of Metroferret would probably be a great person to
contact about this.

Wolfy
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com