From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 22:25:47 -0400
To Kristine:

>I have been taking care of two of my local shelter s ferrets, one of which
>probably has adrenal problems.  He has been seen by a vet but no surgery has
>been recommended because his only symptom is hair loss from his neck to the
>mid part of his tail.  His energy level and appetite are as good as all of
>the other ferrets in my house.

Now this is one I would probably go right in on - I don't think that there
is a lot of question.  Let me restate for the record - THERE ARE VERY FEW
DISEASES THAT CAUSE HAIR LOSS IN FERRETS, AND NO OTHERS THAT WOULD CAUSE
THIS DEGREE.  It's a shame you have to tell your vet that surgery is in
order.....

>Can ferrets with adrenal problems regrow hair?

Yes, they can to some extent.  During the next cycle, it will all fall out,
and usually more, and it is a toss up as to whether it will grow back.

Ferrets are terriffic surgical patients.  I think it's good that vets out
there are cautious about recommending surgery, but you can have too much of
a good thing sometimes.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Chief Pathologist, AccuPath
Dept. of Veterinary Pathology               [log in to unmask]
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology