From:
Diane Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 12:53:28 -0500
I am writing this letter in hopes that someone out there will be able to
help me with this perplexing problem that even my very ferret-knowledgeable
vet does not really know what to say.

My ferret, Sylvester, underwent surgery in May for the removal of his
spleen.  The surgery was a success, no cancer, no tumors, nothing but a
huge a spleen that he felt needed to be removed.  Sylvester came home and
resumed his normal ferret activities in two weeks time.  Eating habits
slightly diminished but he was/is eating fine.  The problem is he has
lost a great deal of weight to the point where his hip bones are actually
protruding.  He acts normal but the weight loss is terrible.  The vet
re-examined him and said he was fine!  He told me to feed him a teaspoon of
Nutri-Cal a day in addition to his food.  Syl loves Nutri-Cal so this is an
easy task as force feeding that one is a real mess; he slings food all over
the place and will ignore me for days afterwards when I come near him.  He
has slowly put a bit of the weight back on since the Nutri-Cal was started
a little over a week ago but is still painfully thin.

Anyone have any ideas or experience with this sort of ordeal and have any
advice to give to me?  I sure would appreciate it.

--Diane--