Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2010 18:01:33 -0700
I just thought I would give everyone an update on Sprout and Bandit. To
recap we learned Sprout had ECE after surgery to find out why he was
losing a lot of weight and had a painful abdomen (he only rarely had
green stools but he did have a lot of loose stools. He had gone from 2
lbs 5 ounces down to 1 lbs 13.5 ounces. Bandit had lost a lot of weight
to and had gone down to 1 lbs 14 ounces from 2 lbs 4 ounces. Bandit
appears to have insulinoma because his glucose was 46 then 51 on
Diasoxide. We've been feeding both three times a day up to 45 mls of
pureed chicken. Sprout's weight climbed back to 2 lbs 5 ounces and
Bandit to 2 lbs 3.5 ounces. We decided to try and wean them off the
pureed chicken and decreased the amount to 30 mls per feeding and to
only twice a day. After Bandit was put on Prednisolon (1 mg a day (0.5
mg twice a day)) his activity and alertness has really climbed. Sprout
had also returned to play mode and I've been war danced twice by him.
Seeing them play and bounce again was great but their weights have
decreased 1.5 to 2 ounces each. We are not sure if it is due to the
increased activity or the decreased food or both (probably both). We
are monitoring their weights and increasing the amount of food per
feeding to 45 mls but still leaving it at two a day for now.

We are also monitoring our other 6 for weight loss in case the catch
ECE.

Thank you to all who have offered advice and information. It never
hurts to have extra information when dealing with sick ferrets.

Mike