From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:53:44 -0500
ECE: ferrets shed this virus for at least 6 to 8 months even when they
aren't symptomatic, so what we did (due to the "at least") is we simply
did not risk any exposure (even us not going to shows or into petstores)
for a full year after our guys got over it, and that way we didn't cause
anyone else to become ill.  That is pretty much a standard way to handle
it and I know that lots of people here at the FML have done the same
thing, both before us and after us.

Christy, that sounds to me like it could be adrenal neoplasia since her
back is going bald; time for a vet visit to see if she needs corrective
surgery unless her health prevents that in which case discuss Lupron and
melatonin.  It is hard to tell long distance if a pattern is as it
sounds.  Always check with a ferret knowledgeable vet; nothing replaces
that.

Polecat crosses: yes, I have also heard of such half and half crosses
being more fearful and faster, in fact, I have heard of them being more
athletic in general, though I have no personal experience with them.  One
person wrote of them being prone to upsetting confusion -- seeming to
want to flee and want to approach at the same time.  I've also heard of
crosses who made out well.  It makes sense that either could happen.  One
thing I found interesting in what I read is that several people wrote of
them being much better at navigation and seeming to have better senses of
smell and perhaps of longer range sight.  There are some very good past
posts in the FML Archives and elsewhere on potential pros and potential
cons of such hybridizing.  It isn't something to do lightly, but then
many breeding choices should not be taken as lightly as too many have
taken them.  Fortunately, the more info there is available the better
choices people can make.