From:
Kaye FitzGerald Gorham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 12:12:48 +0100
Javelyn R Bayliss asks what age ferret kits would be best with 2 children
age 3 and 5.....well I've got a 6&1/2 year old, a 4 year old and a 18 months
and we recently acquired 2 polecat hobs who were about 12 weeks when they
arrived.They were a bit nippy to start with, so the kids (not the baby) used
to wear my old bike gloves while my husband and I suffered, but within a
week they were handling them without the gloves.They have never really
bitten, just nips in play or when scared, but just like a kitten or puppy
would.I would say 6 weeks was far too young to take them away from their
mother anyway, but around 12 weeks seems fine.

I can't answer your question about neutering or descenting as we've not had
it done yet.I was advised to wait until they were about 6 months-ish before
having them neutered, and they seem ok up to press (about 4 months now), but
we don't normally descent over here.

My kids love to take the ferrets out on their harnesses in the woods with
the dogs and my little boy's street cred rating's gone up several notches
at school!!

K.