Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2011 10:59:52 -0400
::Standing ovation::

Selina, bravo!!!! Thank you for such a thoughtfully and delightfully
written account of the summer enrichment you gifted your ferrets, and
everyone in the family for that matter.

It's hard knock those that want to live their lives so carefully that
there is almost "no risk" to their pets, even when they are being
preachy to others about their ideas. They say don't take your pets on
outdoor excursions because of a multitude of risks to them. And how can
I argue with someone who claims that a hawk might snatch my baby up
if I go with them when, obviously, it is possible. They are keeping
their loves ones safe and want to keep other pets safe as well. But my
argument has always been about quality of life. I cannot and will not
force my pets to live in a gilded cage. I feel as if a quality of life
is lost when a pet lives in a glass bubble. So I have to do what "I"
am comfortable with. Some take more risks than others. I try to walk
the line between those risks that come along with excitement and
safety. I live in a multi species home, we go out a lot with our pets
(and not with them clutched at my side in a bag), and my ferrets do
get occasional licks of "no-no's" (soda and pop sickles for example).

In any case, what you have shared should help those who are fearful
about the risks involved with outdoor enrichment because you have
offered reasonable steps to take to ensure safety as best as it can
be offered and also gave us great incentive by showing us the beauty
of such activities!

Those photos are incredible. Despite your beautifully written and well
worded story, a picture still says a thousand words to me. And those
photos tell quite a story indeed ...

Wolfy