Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:40:21 -0500
A friend of mine, a wonderful shelter operator, once confided to
me during a period of intense sadness and loss that she felt these
ferrets had come to her to die. That all she was able to do in these
heartbreaking cases was give them a place to die.

She felt that "all" she could do was not enough, but truly that is
everything.

I know that even the ferrets whose lives are barely touched by these
shelter angels - whether for a day, an hour, a moment - that their
lives are changed.

This poem is for all shelter operators, but most especially for my
friend.

A Sheltering Place

This little one, he came to me, his body old and thin,
His quiet gaze, it spoke to me as I took him in

"My body weak, my heart an ache, my time is near I know",
These words he whispered soft, as if right to my soul

"I need your home, I need this rest, do not turn me away
I need a place to die you see, please do let me stay"

His head he placed upon my hand, he gave a heavy sigh
I gave it thought, so sick with grief, our losses have been high

The place he needed, I could give, til he had to part
And so I opened up my home, I opened up my heart

I gave him this place to die, as he hoped I would
Then I tended to him, gently as I could

For the days we had, I gave him comfort and care
For the nights we had, I gave him love so dear

When his time came, I was as near as I could be
His little soul, leaving soon, whispered out to me

"Of all I asked from you, you gave me even more
Love, care, life; all worth dying for"

"So in this time you held me, and I hoped for a place to die
In turn you gave me a place to live and gently say goodbye"

"And so I hope you know, for I tell you from my heart,
I will never leave, in ways we'll never part"

"For as my soul soars up above,
My heart stays here for you to love"

"Thank you for this place I needed so........."

On this day of giving thanks, a most sincere thanks to all shelter
Moms and Dads

Risa