From:
Steve & Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 1995 15:35:37 EDT
Bill, I'll try to be brief.  I don't want to cause you difficulties.  If
you want to eliminate things in here, do so; but I am worried about
recently reoccuring advice like punishment stuff causing possible harm.

1.  IMHO, folks with less than a year of ferret experience may over use
punishment, increasing a ferret's stubborness.  We agree with many others
with extensive experience.  Ferrets train best with extreme enthusiasm and
reward for good behavior; with scruffing followed by isolation time for
bad behavior.  (Isolation can also stop tantrums; put old sheet over the
cage and ignore ferret.) Most bad behavior that new owners encounter may
be ferret's frustration; punishment will worsen that.  Even previously
abused, retarded, or handicapped ferrets can be trained to be gentle and
do tricks.  Reduce frustration by reading about, and studying ferret body
language and sounds so you may comply when ferret expresses a reasonable
desire.  Use their ability to understand language by teaching simple words
and phrases.  Be consistent, reliable, loving.

Health note from something we've encountered: extreme odor from anal glands
and repeated spraying can be symptoms of infection.  Been there once.

N.J. does NOT require feline distemper shots for them.

Who has ferret holiday cards planned or in the works?

Laura L'H-K, We're on a high level donor's list with MAF.  Do you have
their 800 #?  You may say that you are also requesting the info for E.
Steve and Sukie Crandall if it helps you, Laura.  (If voice mail needed
we're in central N.J.  at 1-908-580-0506.)

We LOVE the list but don't want to hurt Bill.  We don't have time to post
often; others can't post long items; the two need compromise rules.
Removing items in FAQs will also eliminate the need for tirades like my
second paragraph since the FAQs was composed from input given by many
with long and extensive experience who have already eliminated such
approaches for the most part.  (Yes, punishment IS included, but unless
there was an extensive rewrite it's not the emphasized approach.  I
haven't seen latest version.  Pam?) If also encouraged to give FAQs and
med FAQs to vets, stores there can be more reduction.  What about an
attached products/services section in FAQs?  Pam, don't hate me!
Exceptions to rules need to be made for posting on emergencies, or of
experts (veterinary posts, legislation posts, etc.) Maybe we need a
collection for personal equipment for you, Bill?  Let's start with
FAQs-related and line per month limits, ok?

[Moderator's note:  I'll summarize people's thougts about the FML length
sometime in the next week or so - people are still sending me comments
directly!  BIG]