From:
Jaymi Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 19:52:10 EDT
Heidegger was rushed into the vet's today and diagnosed with gastric
ulcers.  I've never dealt with this before, and I wanted to post what was
prescribed by my vet, and get input on that plus anything else you may be
able to tell me about this condition.

He is a 2.5 year old MF ferret.  Right now his weight is at 1.4 pounds
which is about a pound less then what he normally weighs.  This whole
condition happened so suddenly, and he was going into the vets tomorrow,
but when he started vomiting this morning, we rushed him in.  This is
what was prescribed for Heidegger:

.15 ml Amoxicillin twice daily for 8 days
1/16 of a tablet of Metronidazole for 8 days (the bottle says "Qty. 1
     Metronidazole 250 mg)
1/2 cc of Pepto Bismol three times daily for 8 days

The vet also wanted me to give about an inch of Petromalt daily.  We think
he may have a small blockage from his last shed (he was given that
dye-Renografin?-that went through his system fully, but she wants me to do
this just in case).  His bloodwork showed that something having to do with
his liver is slightly elevated (sorry, I'm not sure what it was exactly)
but this is due to the ulcers.  More bloodwork will be back tomorrow.

If he doesn't get any better by Friday, Heidegger will go back into the
vets, and we may need to have him have sugery to make sure everything in
there is OK.

If anything about his diagnosis and treatment doesn't sound right, please
let me know.  If you have anything else to add, or stories to tell me about
your experiences, they would be very appreciated.

Thank you!