Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 19:18:58 -0800
Has anyone ever heard of or had their ferret doctor use the MERIAL canine
distemper vaccine?

I have a VERY VERY important reason for asking so please read on . . . .

I just called my vet in Shoreline, Washington where I normally take my
kiddos, Sasha and Snowball, and was asking the Vet Tech what canine
distemper vaccines they used (I said nothing about rabies shots at that
moment).  She told me they used MERIAL brand, although I've never heard
of that one but then again, I've only been "in the know" in the ferret
community for just about a year.

Honestly, I was expecting to hear that they used either FerVac or
Galaxy-D because this particular veteranerian specializes in ferret
care and so far, I've had very good results with her.  Based on all
the "reaction" stories I've heard about in relation to FerVac, I was
preferring to use Galaxy-D because it just sounded like the safer
product.

Anyway, THIS IS WHAT SHOCKED ME ABOUT THE REST OF MY CONVERSATION WITH
THE VET TECH:

I told her that I am a regular customer to her office and that I have two
FERRETS who were needing CANINE DISTEMPER shots (that was all very clear,
so I thought).  Then I asked her if they use either the Fervac or
Galaxy-D in additional to this "Merial" brand one and she said they only
use MERIAL for their CD shots.  (brief silence while I mentally gathered
the vacine info.  I had stored in my head) and that's when the Tech
quickly assured me it was a regularly used vaccine BUT THEN SHE CORRECTED
ME AND SAID THAT THE FERVAC WAS A RABIES SHOT and was ADAMANT about it!

So what she was telling me is that the FERVAC was for rabies and the
MERIAL was for canine distemper - TOTALLY BACKWARDS and I am certain
that is what she said because I asked her to repeat the information and
she did, saying the exact same thing!

But being new to the ferret world, I thought I had just gotten my
vaccine names & functions mixed up so I said, "I thought the IMRAB
shot was for rabies and the FERVAC and GALAXY shots were for canine
distemper?"  Again, she corrected me by saying "NO, the Fervac and
Imrab are both for rabies and the Galaxy-D and Merial are for canine
distemper."  There was no confusing her words, trust me!

At that point I didn't know if I should be confused or worried - worried
that the vet tech was giving me TOTALLY wrong information - so I told her
I'd look into this and call back if I wanted to schedule a vaccination
appointment.

I've just spend the past hour looking up info on all three of these shots
and I am 100 % certain I (emphasized and bolded) am correct!  FERVAC and
GALAXY are for canine distemper; IMRAB and MERIAL are for rabies!  Fervac
is NOT a rabies shot!!!!!!!  I feel confident that I'm TOTALLY ON BASE
here adn the vet tech is WRONG but if I'm not, will someone please tell
me before I call them back and kindly straighten this person out??????
I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks so much - happy weekend . . . Jennifer, Sasha and Snowy  :-)

p.s.  I have a feeling that when I call back and tell the actual
veteranerian the information I was given, she will probably think I've
totally mixed my story up or something because it just doesn't seem
logical that a LICENSED VET TECH would get this kind of info. mixed up!
YIKES!!!!!

p.p.s. Anyone want to recommend another vet specializing in ferret care,
preferably on the east side of Seattle?