From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 13:04:04 -0800
What is going on here people, are we honing our turkey whacking axes on
each other?  If it's like this today, what is it going to be like next
tuesday?

People actually objected/questioned Sam's ability to run Ferrets Across
America from New Zealand?  Why?  What's the diff?  When Kym was running it,
we didn't run over and knock on her door with a request.  We e-mailed it.

Sam is eminently qualified to orchestrate and operate Ferrets Across
America.  It doesn't matter where it's operated from, but how capable the
person is who handles everything.  Sam can do this.  And no whining about
the chain of contact.  Let it be worked out the way it's been set up.

Speaking of whining - all the shelters deserve our respect.  No shelter
should be belittled because it does not have 'certificate status'.  There
is no national shelter registration.  There are no requirements that the
shelters obtain 501-c3 tax exempt status, or be incorporated.  Many
shelters begin because someone asks them to take a ferret and they find a
new home for it.  I've heard the phrase "I guess I'm a shelter" a number of
times.  As a member of the 'Shelter Update' group, we sometimes hear that a
shelter we list is not registered in it's state or county.  We aren't the
credential police.  We care only that the shelter provides sanctuary to
ferrets.

So - in the future people, if you want to offer money to a shelter for
something, either state up front what your requirements are, or follow thru
on your offer as stated.  Now my ferrets have their own checking account,
but I am not a shelter, nor a breeder.  The seperate account allows me to
track how much I'm spending on them.  I would never assume that a shelter
has a seperate account in the shelter name.  Even if they ask for a check
in their own name it may be going into a seperate account.  Banks charge a
different rate for business checking accounts.  Would you rather your money
go to the ferrets or to pay the bank fees?

And another thing - it's really unfair to assume from a single post that a
person shouldn't be a ferret 'companion'.  Everyone has the right to decide
for themselves about what animal will share their life.  The very fact that
someone is asking means they are approaching it thoughtfully.  Everyone of
us had a 'first ferret' at one time, we weren't born with the wonderful
insight into little ferrety minds.

Ok, I'm done now.

Georgia - the left coast one...