From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 1996 08:32:16 -0400
Bryan Hall wrote:

>I have done everything I can to cheer them up, and while they have gotten a
>little happier, they still are nowhere close to the happy frenzy they were
>when I first brought them home.

Bryan, please do not sell your ferrets.  They are not depressed!  Ferrets go
into overdrive the first time you bring them home from the
store/breeder/whatever.  The most mysterious thing about it is that they
don't do the same thing when I take them to someone else's home.  It's like
they heard the sales transaction the first time and were celebrating.  So
don't assume they are depressed just because they don't dook a lot.  Kits
also get more relaxed as they get older.

One thing you can try if you like is completely ferret proofing an entire
room and leaving them in there during the day.  They will likely not get
bored that way.  If you're not comfortable with that, I'm sure they are fine
in their cage.  Ferrets sleep most of their lives away anything.

One thing ferrets do crave is human companionship.  If you spend a little
time each day playing with and petting them, they will be happy.

-Catherine Shaffer