Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 11:09:15 -0400
Hello all my fellow FMLer's,

Well as I type this its been a very long day for us here..I have been
without sleep for over 24 hours due to some very scary and strange symptoms
with my ferret..Please excuse any typos because I am overtired but really
want some input here as if this has ever happened to anyone..  I will start
by saying my ferret named Bandit age aprox. 6-years old,he was fine
Saturday night until his moans woke me out of bed at 2am..he was breathing
very strange...his mouth was open and he was drooling..He seems very warm
and was listless..I took him out of the cage and examined him closer..He
was not doing anything but drooling and his breathing was labored..  I
tried to call the vet got an answering machine and then hung up and looked
for an all night vet clinic..I could not find one and was beginning to cry
because my poor Bandit was looking like he was getting ready to cross the
rainbow bridge..  I opened the window up as our apartment is over 80
degrees most of the time all year round ..but that's another problem that
will be soon corrected when we move at the end of December if we find a new
place..He seemed to be gasping for breath...and was still drooling..he was
placed on my bed close to the window and he just lied there for over an
hour..I then tried to give him water which he refused..I then held him
close to me and prayed that his time if it was going to happen would hurry
because I was crying so hard and the pain inside my heart couldn't bear to
see him suffering this way..He then looked up at me and I tried once more
to give him water...it was by then 5am and he took it...I wiped my eyes
gave him more and he seemed to be breathing better...he had periods where
he was breathing fine then it became labored again...I fell asleep at 5am
after I saw he looked better..  I woke up at 7am to find him drinking water
on his own from the water bottle I had in a cage that's used for when I
have to clean their cage up fast before work..so I left towels and a soft
blanket in there along with a fresh water bottle and some fresh food.  and
let Bandit stay there so the other ferrets wouldn't bother him ..He looked
at me,and was no longer drooling at 7am ..The vet was not open at all
Sunday and I first called him today...I was told to watch him and if he
looks ill or the same thing happens to bring him in..

Now the thing is what was wrong with my Bandit in the first place???  I
am sick with worry over this..He is fine since 7am Sunday and all day
yesterday was eating pooping and urinating..Do I demand that I bring him?
I would like some input here because I trust all of you more then my vet
right now..Has anyone ever had their ferret show any signs of labored
breathing with drooling??

Please do NOT flame me because I didn't demand to go to the vets ..Bandit
is fine now he is eating sleeping playing and using the potty with no
problems..If I didn't wake up I would have missed this whole episode and
who know how it could have winded up because I was not there to make sure
he drank..I know that like most small animals they get dehydrated very
quickly..so I am glad I was there to make sure he drank..

If anyone knows what he could have had please email me but please everyone
I know all of us are unique and you might not agree with what I did but
please all I ask is that you be nice if you send me an email..  I would
and have always made sure I took into consideration your feelings before I
posted or emailed..

Take care and hug your ferrets for me..
Michele*****
~To touch someone....You must first touch their heart~