From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 1995 07:55:44 -0800
To the FML and their vets:

    Please remember that the AFIP is no longer accepting ferret tissues for
microscopic examination.  Due to the overwhelming response over the last
five years, we were able to amass over 2500 cases, but in the end, were just
not able to keep up with them.

    I am still receiving large numbers of cases at the AFIP.  Soon we will
have to be returning these cases to the vets as we no longer have the time
or manpower to process them.  I have been continuing to do them "under the
rug" so to speak, but soon I will no longer be able to continue and will
start having to send cases back.

    AccuPath, my own pathology practice currently reads out several ferret
cases weekly at $19 for 1-2 tissues, and $22 for 3 or more tissues.  While
it isn't free, the turnaround for cases is 24 hours after the tissues arrive
at the lab (M-F), as compared to several weeks at the AFIP.
[Moderator's note: Yeah, this is sortof an ad... I'm letting it through
since it is of such interest and purely informational.  BIG]

    Please contact [log in to unmask] for more information.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP