From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 11:29:44 EDT
As long as I can remember science has said ferrets can only see shades of
black and white.  Ferret owners contend that they may see red also.  Well
I have proof that at least one of my ferrets can see red ...no doubt!

Pong has an obsession with drinks.  He has a bizarre, and I do mean bizarre
obsession with Coke cans.  He goes nuts with his heart pounding, jumping
with no fear, etc..  Well I'll put my coke can up on the entertainment
center out of reach and he will sniff the air, and go nuts staring at it
and trying to jump to it.  I thought ok...he "smells it".  So I cleaned out
the can.  He did the same darn thing.  I then thought it was the shape.
So I put a red box up there... same reaction not quite as severe.  aha.
color.

Yesterday my son put a clear, empty waterbottle up there with a tiny strap
(one inch wide), that hung down a bit with "coka-cola" written on it.  It
was red.  My ferret Pong went ape.  Absolutely ape.  He has never done this
on any other objects.  He definately sees red.  The way he went nuts at the
sight of that strap........ is it possible.......... that he can...nah.

Wolfy
Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/
for information on deafness and ferrets:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/deaf.html
take a peek at upcomming "so you have allergies":
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/allergies.html