From:
"Lisa G. Fleischmann" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 12:32:56 -0700
Hi all!
I have been working in a research lab for over a year now (in my spare time
when I'm not in class).  I've worked with rats and rabbits and on occaision
have had to revive a few rats.  Artificial repiration works great using a 3
ml syringe without the plunger or a rubber tube wide enough to fit around
the nose and mouth, if their heart is still beating.  With the syringe, we
(in the lab) place the end where the needle would attach in the mouth and
blow short gentle breaths into the plunger end (mouth does not touch
syringe) -- it doesn't take much -- to get them breathing again.  The good
thing about the syringe method is that the excess air has a place to go
other than into the lungs if you are blowing too much, thus reducing the
risk of overinflating the lungs.  The tube method can work, too, but more
care must be taken as the tube forms a seal over the nose and mouth not
allowing excess air to escape easily.  In place of a syringe, which may not
be easily accessible, you could try a tube from a ball point pen or a straw
or anything that you could place into the mouth and blow into.

I have also tried CPR on rats with dismal results, even with an artificial
respiration machine.  Chest compressions are difficult on such small
animals.

To check for a pulse, I try to feel for the heart beating along the rib cage
at the level of the elbow, usually stronger on the left side.  You can even
put their chest up to your ear to try to hear for a beat.

I hope this information might help.  Fortunately, I've never had to try to
use these methods on ferrets, so I'm not sure if they would work.

                                Lisa and Noah
                                Daisy -- the amazing flying ferret
                                Squirt -- Daisy's new chew toy

To Bob (with one O): I've enjoyed your postings immensely -- your humor
makes me laugh outloud (in the student computer lab where EVERYONE can
hear me :)).  Thanks for lightening my day :).