From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:25:37 -0400
Why not say "people in general"?  Well, judging by your reaction alone, I
would have to guess that by being *more* inclusive, I would have offended
*even more* people.  Make sense?

Unfortunately, arguments do abound on the FML.  Many if not most of them
start because somebody takes offense at something someone else has
written - when no insult was ever intended in the first place.

This case is a great example.  I made a simple, verifiable observation:
"Some people, particularly younger, post this way.  This makes for
hard-to-read posts." I might as well have said "Some older ferrets
develop adrenal disease.  This can make them aggressive." There is no
value judgement given.  There is no insult included or intended.  Facts
is facts.  If you can dispassionately disprove the point, then be my
guest, fire away.  But there is nothing here that anyone should be
offended by.

Had I said, "Because of this all teenagers should be rounded up and
shot." Ah!  Now I'm making value judgements!  This is something you
can be good and offended by.  Have at me!  (Note, I'm making up an
example, not saying I actually believe this!)

The point is simply this.  Humans are emotional creatures.  If you find
yourself offended by a post, stop and read it again.  Come back and read
it again after a couple of hours and decide whether you *should* be
offended or not.  Stop and ask yourself if the poster really intended to
offend - and realize that the answer is usually (but not always) no.
Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but we can all be
happier if we consciously decide NOT to be offended and realize that the
poster most likely didn't intend to insult anyone.

roger