From:
Rachelle & McKyle Tuvell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 1998 00:14:46 -0500
I sincerely appreciate all the advice, help, and concern I received about
McKyle and Merlin, following my recent postings about their symptoms.  You
guys on this list are really great!  For anyone that may be interested, the
following is an update on their condition.

Today (1-2-98) we went to see the vet.  It turns out that McKyle and Merlin
have just gotten a flu or cold, most likely from my husband or I, as we had
it recently.  Obviously from my previous postings, McKyle has the worst of
it.  Now he has started sneezing too, poor guy.  The vomiting was attributed
to irritation in his throat that causes coughing and gagging.  McKyle and
Merlin both have irritated throats; McKyle's is a little worse and he also
has a bit of fluid in his lungs.  They both were prescribed Cefadroxil to
knock out the flu bug.  (Yum, orange flavor!) As for the weight loss: the
vet officially weighed him at 3#.  At his fattest he used to be 4#, but his
average weight used to be 3 3/4#.  The vet said 4# was a bit chubby anyway
and that 3# is a healthy weight for McKyle.  (Not that I mind a "chubby" 4#.
I like a little meat on the bones!) We agreed that the decrease in weight
from 4# to 3# was due to McKyle being considerably more active now that he
has a brother to play with.  BTW, while we were at the vet, the little
rascals "talked" me into getting them a package of Cheweasels!  ...Just like
kids in a candy store, they were!

I have a story for you about vet visits: the very first time McKyle ever had
to have a fecal done....the vet tech tried to get a sample using her handy
little tool, but McKyle did NOT want that thing in his butt!  So what did he
do?  He pooped right on the exam table for her, of course!  So now, every
single time we go to the vet, McKyle always poops on the exam table.  I
guess he just wants to make sure that if a sample is needed, he gives it,
instead of having it take from him!

**Poopy New Year!**
Someone mentioned that they spent their New Year's Eve cleaning up ferret
poop.  Well, you're not alone!  When the ball dropped, I was up to my elbows
in poop, with the base of the cage in our bathtub, trying to scrub out some
of the results of Merlin's "poor aim"!  But I don't mind.  I love my boys!

Again, thanks everyone for all your help.  I am so thankful that my boys are
ok!!!!!

Happy Ferreting!
Rachelle & David
McKyle ("Get that thing away from my butt!")
Merlin ("Hey, I remember this place!")