From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 23:44:42 -0400
While I'd like to hear how severe this problem is (in the opinion of
the pathologist - they usually grade it as minimal, mild, moderate, or
severe) - it usually is not a problem at all.  Lymphocytic portal hepatitis
is an extremely common problem in ferrets, and is usually a result of
mild chronic inflammation of the GI tract (usually either Helicobacter or
previous ECE.) Plus an enlarged spleen may also be a result of chronic
inflammation of the GIT.  You have just hit on two of the most common
incidental findings in middle aged or older ferrets.  The third very
common incidental finding is fat in the liver - if the liver was biopsied
because it was a pale tan to yellow in color - well, then you have all of
the common incidental findings.

>At least that is what it sounded like the vet said on the answering
>machine.  He says we should treat at suture removal.

Uh-uh.  Can't treat it, wouldn't treat it.  We'd be treating every ferret.
If this ferret develops symptomatic GI problems, then I'd treat that, but
not the liver finding.

>Prognosis?  Will it effect his lifestyle?  I'm lost since I can't seem to
>find much online about it...

Well, I'd like to know the severity, but unless it is really severe, you'll
never recognize it as a clinical problem.

With kindest regards,
Bruce H. Williams, DVM, DACVP

Join the Ferret Health List at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ferret-Health-list