From:
"HARRISON,REGINA,MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 19:12:18 EST
I have an opinion on this one...  If your Loved One is planning to secure
the ferrets in some kind of saddlebags or something, then it's no more
dangerous for the ferrets than it will be for him.  But if they will be
"tucked away" somewhere for the ride-- well, my soon to be ex- Loved One
has, basically behind my back because he knew I'd say it was dangerous,
taken Amelia sledding and Cully ice-skating.  This same person won't put a
leash on the ferrets outside because he doesn't want to cramp their freedom
(don't worry, _I_ fully realize that getting run over by a bus or mauled by
a dog would cramp their freedom infintely more).  When I learned about these
situations, all I could imagine was the sled rolling over, as often happens,
and Amelia being thrown right into the path of another sled, or my husband
stumbling on the ice and sending Cully under somebody's skates.  And with a
motorcycle, I imagine an accident sending the ferret right under a car.
Also, I have seen with Amelia that she doesn't seem to be aware of the fact
that cars are moving rather quickly, and she's tried to jump out the window
a couple of times.  Maybe that will help as a piece of reasoning-- ferrets
have no internal spedometer to tell them it isn't safe to jump ship.

On a cuter note, I did see leather biker jackets designed for iguanas at a
pet shop.  I entertained thoughts of modifying one for Amelia so that we'd
match for about thirty seconds, then realized that the whole idea of keeping
a jacket on a ferret was a little, um, unrealistic.

Regina (when we move to a new apartment, will you guys forget this
       territorial thing and get along?)
Amelia (no, it's all my territory.  And the jacket is cute, but you can
       forget that yourself!)
Cully (no, I just like to bite.  can I eat that jacket?)