From:
Fred & Donna Howerton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 11:42:17 -0600
                            Calling all FMLers!!

I know I've seen a few messages similar to the one I am about to post.
However, I didn't pay much attention to those because I thought I would
never encounter this problem!  So please give me the same advice you have
given others regarding this issue!!  Here goes:

My college town has really great pet stores for the most part and they do a
decent job with their ferrets.  However, I am at home for Christmas Break
and I visited our only pet store here which just recently started selling
ferrets.  They're not doing so great in my eyes!

First of all, they have two ferrets and each one has its own glass aquarium.
The floor of the aquarium is covered about an inch deep with cedar
shavings/chips and there are kernels of corn (AGHH!!) mixed in with it.
Secondly, that is all there is in the aquarium besides a water bottle and an
upside down crock of ferret food.  No litter box, no toys, nothing to curl
up in and sleep.  Thirdly, the lady said they were MF ferrets but I
commented that they weren't tattooed.  She said, "Oh it's really faint."
Well, I have two MF ferrets and you can easily see their tattoos.  I was
really looking for them on these two and I couldn't even see a faint tattoo.
Fourth, she didn't even know how to sex them.  Fifth, they had a little
booklet on ferrets for sale that said wood shavings and saw dust are
appropriate bedding materials!

I was just aghast!!!  Please tell me, am I being ridiculous?!?!  Is all of
this acceptable???  I'd like to do something but I have no idea what and
where to start!  This is where you all come in.  I told the lady that I'd
always heard wood shavings cause upper respiratory problems.  She didn't
seem to care!  I have no idea why there were corn kernels in there but
couldn't that cause blockage problems?  I really want to do something to
improve the life of those little fuzzies!  PLEASE HELP!!!  They've been
selling ferrets for about two months I think.  There is no ferret shelter or
club anywhere near here so it's pretty much up to me I think.

I guess I need documented proof that what they are doing is harmful.  It
might also be helpful to let them know that even though they are selling
those ferrets for $140, if they are not healthy they are going to lose
business and money in the long run!  Thanks in advance for any and all
advice!!!!!

Lori Howerton :)