From:
Inge Nespolon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 2010 19:30:22 -0400
I posted a while back asking about the pros and cons of walking a
ferret. I have had ferrets for 10 years, but this is new to me. This
guy I got as a baby, so he was willing to try anything. { almost all
my other ferrets were older rescue ferrets who hate the outdoors.}

My ferret loves the outdoors so much that I have decided to do this
with him. Actually he has decided that this is his joy in life. When he
gets up in the morning, all he thinks about is his walk. He will not
eat till after the walk. He begs for the walk and waits at the door
that leads to the walk.

We have all the appropriate shots and medicines etc. Our "walk" has
turned into a "run". I live in a lovely small town and he knows what
particular street he wants to "run" in on any given day. He stops at
the same trees and shrubs etc to check them out. I let him decide what
street he wants to explore, not that I have an option. The boy knows
where he wants to go.

He always knows when we get back home though. He runs into our yard
whether we are walking on the same side or across the street from
home. He makes a beeline for the back door.

When I say he "runs" I am not kidding. This boy can run for two
blocks or more. I am 63 and I have a hard time keeping up with him.
I particularly love it when he decides to cross in front of me during
his run. I have gotten quite adept at these manoeuvres of his and he
has not taken me out yet.

The one thing I worry about is the attention he draws. People come
running out of their houses, cars stop and actually back up. They all
want to know what he is and tell me how gorgeous he is etc ,etc, etc...
I always make sure to tell them ferrets are not for everyone, that you
have to do research etc, and that I had to take out a line of credit
after I got ferrets. That always gives them pause for thought. I know
he is a good ambassador, but I do not want them to go buy one just
because his is cute. Well, okay , he is beyond cute. He is worthy of
a cover.

I do not know how I will explain to him that there will be days in the
coming winter when we can not go out every day. We can certainly go
romp in the snow in the backyard for a bit, but the long walks through
the neighbourhood every day will not be possible............

His name is Albe and he is the love of my life. And yes my husband is
aware of this.

Inge