From:
Katie Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2004 09:26:04 -0500
I've had ferrets in my classroom for several years.  They LOVE it.  The
kids love them.  With the door closed, I let them run loose when I get
there in the morning.  When it's time for the first class, my two babies
run to the door & wait.  The students know they are going to be there so
come in more calmly than before.  Usually someone scoops them up and both
the kids & babies get a little lovin before class starts.  They then go
in their cage (a multi-story Super Cage).  The top part is covered so
they can sleep in peace during the day.  Kids can earn time playing with
the ferrets during their study times or before or after school.

They usually stay at school on weekends.  They have a large cage with
constantly changing toys.  If they go home with me, they don't seem to
thrilled to be competing with the other critters for attention.  As soon
as they get back to school they run straight to their cage, inspect it
from top to bottom & go to sleep in it.  I don't think being there for
the weekend hurts them.

As to allergies, according to my research, much fewer people are allergic
to ferrets than to rabbits (a very common classroom pet).  My ferrets
have state health certificates.  Note, however, when I was looking for
class ferrets, I chose two who NEVER use their teeth on hands, even in
play.  Even so, the kids use toys on strings to play with them.  Finally,
these ferrets have learned to love to be held, carried, & cuddled.  Both
the kids and the babies benefit greatly for loving and being loved.
Even the roughest, toughest kids learn to see the world from the point of
view of helpless critters fiercely defend them and take care of them.
This relationship benefits all.

OK, I'll get off my soap box.

Katie & Kids