Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:50:07 EST
Hi all,

I am the original poster of what is starting to become a mess.

The problem that I had with the item listed was that it appeared on pages
utilized by ferret lovers.  It is no different than a taxidermied dog or
cat showing up on those pages.  Okay, in theory it is a little different,
since dogs and cats are not used for apparel.  But, generally, neither are
ferrets.  Someone did advise me, though, that ferrets are occasionally
used for fur, and it is called fitch fur.  Thankfully, this appears to be
the exception and not the rule.

My point to both the seller and to e-bay itself was that these types of
items should be screened, and descriptions and titles modified so that
they do not show up on pet enthusiast lists.  I simply requested that the
woman remove the word "ferret", not the item itself.  Mink or weasel would
have sufficed as a description, and it no longer would have appeared on
the ferret pages.  I also requested that if she chose not to change the
wording, could she please remove the preview picture so that it wasn't
slapping us in the face everytime we scrolled down the list.  Both
requests were made prior to any bidding, and she could have acquiesced.
She chose to coldly dismiss my requests, in the name of business.

I am not looking to limit anyone's ability to sell fur, leather, or
anything else related to deceased animals or their skins.  The fact is
that these are considered garments.  What I am looking for is some sort of
censorship over what APPEARS on a pet lover's list, regardless of whether
it is ferret, dog, cat, rabbit,horse, whatever.  The pelts, taxidermies,
etc,.  of domesticated animals have no place on these lists.

I have complained to e-bay and forwarded my e-mail exchange with the
seller to them.  My understanding is that she has filed harrassment
charges against some, possibly all, of the people that contacted her.  I
wanted to make sure they understood my side of the story and what my
complaint was.

So, everybody simmer down now.  If you would like to file a complaint
with e-bay, please do so.  Just try to remain calm and make your case as
politely as possible.

Trying to keep the peace....

Dee