From:
"David J. Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 1996 17:50:53 -0400
For those of you interested...

Patient:  White male, 2.4 lbs, approx 3.5 yrs old.

Had mild reaction to Imrab last year (flushing, itching and elevated
temperature). This year much more severe reaction:

He was premedicated with 0.25 ml Benydryl by myself 30 mins before
injection.  He was premidicated with epinephrin(sp) by vet 15 mins before
injection.  About 8 minutes after injection with _Imrab_ (not Fervac) he
started flushing, temperature went up rapidly, front legs became paralyzed.
He was given "two shots" and some oxygen by the vet and is recovering.
Expected to be released in about two hours.

The vet has said that she cannot recommend giving him any more Imrab shots.

---

We also have a 2 lb female that reacted to Imrab last year but more
seriously.  She also can't have another Imrab injection.  The vet has agreed
to supply a statement next time that identifies why the ferret cannot be
vaccinated for rabies.  Probably no good in a bite incident but at least it
shows the lack of injection is a "concious" decision.  The chances of them
biting someone is very remote so I'm not too worried about it at this point.

(The vet already has the relevant addresses to report the reaction.)