From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 19:28:58 -0400
April asked about ferrets who rub their faces in a downward motion and
running their nails through their mouths.  Without trying to panic anyone
this sounds a lot like mouth pawing - usually indicating that their
"tummy's don't feel so good".  Actually one of mine was doing this (she
wasn't gagging or drooling or vomiting to my knowledge) it did turn out
that she had what must have been a partial blockage that got worse some
weeks to later.  Then she started vomiting - x-rays didn't show anything,
vomiting got progressively worse - exploratory took 5 small pieces of
rubber out of her gut.  I personally know give what is far above the
recommended cat lax dose to no ill effect - actually it seems to improve
the "quality" of their poop:) as I think Boris has scaring from anal scac
removal and his was usually in bits and Giesela's the one that had the
surgery.  So I guess I'd recommend dosing heavily with cat lax for the
next few weeks and a barium x-ray (don't even bother with a regular one).

Mary, Booker and the fuzzbutts