From:
Anne Willingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 10:32:54 -0600
Help! I realize this is waaaaayyyyy off topic, but this is a smart
group and we HAVE been talking a lot about farms lately.

I just moved out to the country. My yard is totally infested with
moles. I had decided to just ignore the little suckers as they didn't
seem to be doing that much harm to my personal world. Live and let live
and all that. However, my dogs are of a different opinion. They seem to
believe that moles are their arch-enemy and have enthusiastically tried
to eradicate them from the backyard. The yard is completely trenched.
Even this I decided to approach philosophically. It does give the pups
something to do and I really do need the exercise that filling in the
holes provides.

Unfortunately, last night we caught one. Big stinkin' huge mole. About
half the size of my boy ferrets. It was a big ugly sucker. The dogs
didn't kill it, but were certainly aggravating the snot out of the
little sucker. We have now attacked the yard with a renewed vigor. The
moles are making forays into my yard from the neighbor's pasture and
the dogs are now digging up the neighbor's fence. I had already put
down chicken wire along the fence, but they busted right on through
that in their quest for the dastardly moles. I CANNOT have them
breaking through that fence. The neighbor raises sheep/lambs and has
been known to shoot dogs that get in his fields. (Yeah, yeah... I know.
It's totally his right. I don't want his sheep hurt, but I really don't
want my dogs shot!).

How do I get rid of the moles? I seem incapable of bashing them over
the head once the dogs catch them. I am unlikely to be able to trap and
kill them (which is likely the easiest method). I hesitate to put out
poison as I don't want to poison the bunnies and with my luck the dogs
would catch one that was poisoned and actually eat it. Sigh. Stupid
dogs. I'm contemplating barb wire and an electric fence, but I would
rather just get rid of the moles. Any thoughts?