From:
"William L. Sebok" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1993 11:48:25 -0500
Dan Reed recently (Jan 11) reported that Science Diet adult cat food (dry) has
changed its flavor and that his ferret is reluctant to eat it.  Our two ferrets
have essentially eaten only this ever since they were kits.  With some
trepidation I bought some of the new-style Science Diet and mixed it yesterday
about 50/50 in their disk with some of the old.  Their initial reaction seemed
favorable: they scurried off and made their usual "caches" under various places
and seemed to be nibbling on it.  However the this morning there were piles of
vomit all over the cage.  The ferrets seemed to behave fine and were fighting
vigorously in their hammock.  I did seem to notice that one of them was now
picking through the food in the dish, as if maybe trying to get the old stuff.

What should I do?  Is the vomiting likely to pass as they get accustomed to the
new food or does it indicate that they are incompatible with it? We have about
a weeks supply left of the old food.  What should I get them if I they can't
tolerate Science Diet?  Dan Reed, did your ferret eventually accept the New
Science Diet?  "Irresistable New Taste!" Bah!

Bill Sebok      Univ. of Maryland, Astronomy    Internet: [log in to unmask]