Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 13:38:16 -0600
Hello.  I am a new subscriber to the FML and have really enjoyed reading all
the mail!  I find it fascinating how similar these little creatures
personality actions are no matter where they live.

I have had a male sable (Forrest) and female silver mitt (Febe) for almost a
year now and have never had any health problems.  Nipping was the only major
concern but they seem to be getting better and better.

The other day I visited my local animal shelter (SPCA, Edmonton) and there
were two straggly looking, underweight, desperatley in need of a bath
ferrets just waiting for a new home.  So, I took them home with me.  They
are both females and VERY underweight.  One is two years old, and the other
is 8 months.  The two year old is very skinny but has a beautiful white coat
and is very active and energetic.  Its the 8 month old that I am worried
about.  She is so fragile compared to Febe who is close to the same age.
Her coat is very course and short, and last night I noticed something very
confusing.  Several times throughout the night I was awaken by a screaming
fit which sounded similar to the screeches the new ferrets would make when
they were first meeting and wrestling around with my old ferrets.  At first
I thought Forrest and Skully (new one) were wrestling, but when I went to
take a look she was all alone and the screeching went on for about 30
seconds.

That was in the middle of the night and then it quit.  Then, this morning I
let them all out to play, Skully was playing and running about in the usual
ferret manner, and then she just stopped and acted like she was sneezing,
then she stood with her head low as if to sneeze really loud but it was a
painful screeching (like a cat barking if you can imagine), but it seemed to
be coming from deep withing her stomach.  Then the sounds she would make
were deafening!  I picked her up and held my had on her tummy and soothed
her, and then it ended.  it looked so painful when she was having the little
coughing fit!  I am very concerned and wonder if this is a dietary problem
or intestinal.  The ferrets were fed very low-key cat food before I got
them.  I just don't know what is going on with her.  I am a student and have
to wait to take her to the vet but I thought maybe someone has had a similar
situation so I could tell the vet.  She is such a little sweetheart and it
breaks my heart to 'hear' her like this.

Also, I'm wondering what would be good to 'fatten' them up a bit.  Any kind
of chicken soup or anything?  they are so happy with their new homeit makes
me happy to know they are cozy and safe now.  My heart goes out to all those
fuzzy babies and fuzzy mommies and fuzzy daddies in that wretched shelter I
read about today.  I hope they find homes and the love they deserve!

thanks!
Andrea, Forrest, Febe, Skully, and the sock theif with no name yet